Tuesday, November 14, 2023

never been married

the man
at the hardware store,
Frank,
after making me a new
set of house keys,
asks me
how many times i've been
married.
i hold up three fingers,
he laughs
and says, get out of town,
no way
you've been burned
that many times.
but i tell him hold on
a miniute.
let me break it down for you.
the first one
was for six months,
and it was annulled by the Pope,
she walked home
with her suitcase
and a toaster oven.
the second one i caught
her cheating with my son's
karate teacher,
but besides that we were
married in a foreign
country, so that one doesn't
count either,
and the last one,
well, she had a married boyfriend
the whole year
we were together,
and i believe she had her
fingers crossed when
she said her vows.
so you can throw that one
out the window too.
so basically i've never
been married.
i make a zero with my
thumb and finger.
zero times, brother, zero.

No comments: