Sunday, November 19, 2023

i am Emily Wilson

I channel
my inner feminine side
and become
Emily Wilson
when the phone rings with
an unknown
number,
local, long distance,
or otherwise.
my voice changes into
the voice
of a seventy-two year
old widow
who doesn't drive,
who has no money,
no life to speak of, but is
happy to take
your call.
happy to hear the news
about winning
the publisher
clearing house prize
package
for the ninth time this
month. i'm thrilled to talk
to the cable guys,
Microsoft,
social security people,
the Medicare men and women
selling me
a new policy.
insurance folks from India
or Pakistan.
Dubai.
i'm a chatty old lady, sweet
and nice,
a Baptist,
with two cats, and a friend
named Betty
who drives me
around when i need to go
to the bank,
or buy gift cards
from target,
or wire money to you in
Kingston Jamaicia,
i want to keep you on the phone
for hours, for days,
for weeks
at a time. i'm.
willing to allow you to enter
my web of lies,
my life.
please, call me any old time.

No comments: