Tuesday, November 21, 2023

you can't tell anymore

she was pre-med,
but dancing her way through
college
at the Kitty Kat Lounge
near the airport, next
to the train depot
and county jail.
she was different than
the other girls.
beautiful with long legs.
but less trashy.
she didn't smoke
and had no tattoos,
or needles marks
that i could see,
and during her breaks she'd
be at bar
in her thong, watching
reruns of
Grey's Anatomy
on her phone.
it wasn't love, but clearly
there was deep admiration
and infatuation.
i finally made my move,
and sat next to her
at the bar,
milking my Shirley Temple,
because it cost
twenty-five dollars a pop.
she looked at me and smiled,
then put her hand out,
which was strangely larger
than mine, we shook,
then she said,
before we go any further,
i have to tell you, my name
used to be Stan,
but you can call me Star.

No comments: