Thursday, July 25, 2019

midnight swim

I sit at the edge of the pool,
my feet dangling
in the cool water.
it's late at night, so there's
no one there.
I climbed the fence like I did
when I was in high school.
but this time around
there's no beer, no girls,
no friends going wild off
the high dive. it's just me
under a silver moon, thinking,
feet dangling in the water,
staring at the reflections
of light and dark
that swim about the still pond.
thinking about the years
gone by, the years ahead.
the blessings, the mistakes.
the turns taken that have all
somehow ended up just fine.
I slip off the side and go
under. I feel the water encase
me, like a baby in a womb.
I sink under to the bottom
and look up, I see the
watery trees,
the stars, the sky, the silver
welcoming embrace of a full
sweet moon. as I rise to breathe,
I am born again,
once more, for another time.

No comments: