Friday, January 19, 2024

two gift cards from Dollar General

once more, i have won
the lottery.
i have been awarded
seven point two million dollars
and a luxurious
white Mercedes Benz
from the publishers clearinghouse.
the man
has informed me on the phone
with glee
that i am a lucky winner.
i sigh.
i tell him thank you,
and ask him which store
should i go to
to get gift cards to pay
the taxes on my winnings.
he tells me Dollar General,
or Kroger's.
Wal-Mart maybe.
he needs
two four hundred dollar
gift cards
to satisfy the IRS stipulations
on such earnings.
no problem, i tell the man,
who sounds
strangely Jamaican,
despite having the name,
David Martin.
i'm on my way now, i tell him,
walking
through a blizzard, with
my sled dogs.
and rifle to shoot off any
wild wolves
that might try to devour me.

No comments: