Monday, January 29, 2024

getting away from it all

i start browsing
states
to see where i want to move
to get away
from it all.
low crime with fair weather
would be nice.
less traffic.
don't ask me what
the phrase
it all
means exactly, it's more of a feeling,
an existential
thing.
there are fifty states,
but a lot more countries
to peruse.
i could easily pack up
and go 
anywhere,
easy to hit the road
and be off into another direction.
what's keeping me here?
friends, family,
most of them gone.
will i miss the yard, the woods
out back.
the stream i can
hear from my window?
will i pine over
the neighbors left and right,
will i miss the fear
of crime
or having my car hijacked?
the adrenaline rush
of a knock at the door
at midnight?
sure i'll miss those things,
but
it's now or never, where's
my suitcase
time to start packing 
things.

No comments: