Friday, November 15, 2019

this one is just right

i ask a woman standing by the stack
of avocados
to help me pick one out.

what makes a good one, i ask her.
she looks
at me like i'm a crazy person,

but sees that i'm basically a
harmless man
pushing a grocery cart around

with nothing but meat and ice
cream in it.

okay, she says, picking one
up. this one is not ready. too
hard. feel it.

i take it from her and nod.
i see. i see, i say, pressing
my fingers against the tough
green skin. it is hard.

she picks up another one, and
this one, too mushy.
i press a finger into it.

oh my i say. very soft.
too mushy.
that can't be good.

the third one, she holds
up to the light and cups it in
her hand. this one, she says.
is just right.

feel that? perfect.

she hands it to me and says.
there you go.

No comments: