Sunday, November 17, 2019

anchored down

when I worked in an office
a thousand years ago,

I could see that almost everyone
was basically

unhappy with their lives.
side by side,

shoulder against shoulder
heaping
paper onto papers.

it might as well been coal.

I knew I wouldn't be there long.
I wasn't cut
from the same cloth as they were.

my wings were clipped, a caged
bird that wasn't singing,
sorry angelou,

but I stuck it out, did
what I could

to get the job done, earn
my keep.

but it was more about the coffee
break. happy hour.

the picnic, the parties,
the new secretary

that I couldn't wait to meet.

the work meant nothing to me.
a grind
and I could see it in those
around me,

but they had no way out,
no way over the fence, with
children
and families.
mortgages, bills,

life had anchored them down.

No comments: