Monday, June 10, 2019

Nobody Cares About Me

I see that she's sad
again,
ninety eight days in a row,
Quiet sullen unresponsive.
so I offer her a drink,
she says no. a cup of tea?
water, perhaps?
no thank you. Wine?
can I fix you dinner,
make you a salad,
or a sandwich, perhaps
a bowl of
soup? Cut up some carrots,
Some fruit?
no, she says again. i'm fine.

your father is on the phone,
do you want to talk
to him? he's concerned
About you.
no, not now. i'd rather be
alone.

can I take you somewhere,
go for walk,
watch tv? The zoo?
you're mother called,
your sister too, maybe you should
call them back.
no, I don't want to talk
to anyone. I just want
to stare out this window
for another hour or two.

I can run up to the store
and get you whatever
it is you need.
no, no thank you.
do you have a headache
again?
is it your stomach?
can I get you an aspirin,
some ice, a heating pad?
a book, a magazine to read?
i'm fine, really, she says.
i'm fine.
don't worry. Just leave
Me be
While I obsessively text
People I dont want
You to know about
Or see.

an hour later she's
crying, mumbling,
curled in a dark corner of
A room with the door shut,
rocking back and forth,
pulling on her hair,
saying over and over again,
nobody cares about me.

another fun day.

No comments: