Thursday, October 14, 2021

the blue light treatment

i go in for the blue light
treatment
that my dermatologist
doctor K suggests.
she sees some sun damage,
some precancerous cells
lurking about.
sure, i tell her, why not.
maybe i can smooth out
some of these wrinkles too.
just four treatments she says.
easy peasy.
so the nurse sits me down
and rubs some ointment on
my face before positioning
the giant machine over my
head. so how are you with pain,
she asks me?
i laugh, that's exactly what
the justice of the peace asked
me before he read the wedding
vows to me and cruella de'ville.
she laughs. i laugh.
pain, pffft.  please.
down goes the radiating helmet
and suddenly
a million ravenous wasps
begin to sting my face in
heat not unlike the surface
of the sun.
on a scale of one to ten,
she says loudly over the hum,
what level of pain are you at.
third wife, i scream. i'm at
the third wife level of pain.
okay. hang in there, only
fifteen more minutes to go.
close your eyes, i'm going
to squirt some water on you.

No comments: