Sunday, February 16, 2020

5:30 a.m.

after a rough night out
I wake up
and lean on the cold rim
of the white porcelain sink.

I fill it with ice water
then drop my head into it.

I shake it off, then look
in the mirror.

what the hell, where did that
new crease in my brow come from?

these wrinkles are coming out
of nowhere.

i'm beginning to look like my
mother and father
combined.

which I guess makes sense.

I slap on some shaving cream
and mow away the stubble.
silver and white flecks of what
used to be luxurious
brown hair.

but I haven't given up.
I flex my muscles and put
some visine in my eyes.

I hear a voice coming from the other
room,
what are you doing in there?

are you okay? come back to bed.

brushing my teeth, I yell back.
be there in a minute.

hold that thought.

I brush my teeth, gargle,
spit. take a zinc pill,
then turn the light off.

it's five thirty in the morning.

No comments: