Thursday, August 11, 2022

my account manager

my bank guy,
Kamil,
who works at the drive thru
rolls his
eyes at me
as he deposits
a check into my account.
he hits the button
to speak to me
through the garbled
intercom.
you are not gaining interest
he says, placing
my receipt into the box
with a red lollipop.
with inflation, you are
going backwards.
i blow air out of my
mouth in exasperation.
have you ever thought
of muni bonds?
he says. adjusting his turban
and long white
robe,
or a money market 
account.
i can barely hear him though
through the open
sliding drawer,
he's taken his hand off
the button
which allows outside
communication.
what?
i say. i can't hear you.
he pushes the button.
stroking his long white beard,
muni bonds, he says.
let me go get my manager.
hold on.
don't leave.
he has some forms for
you to fill out.
i unwrap the cherry lollipop
and suck on it.

No comments: