Thursday, September 24, 2020

my dream to be a lifeguard

swimming is not my strong suit.
nor is running, or dancing,
but that's another story
altogether.
i got nothing
when it comes
to the back stroke,
the free style, or the butterfly.
i'm more of a small dog
paddling
towards the side
with my head above
water, tongue out.
i've got the dog paddle down
pat.
but i've wanted to be a life guard
my whole life.
i love
the beach boys.
california girls.
surf city. and little surfer
girl.
the songs of my youth.
i like the idea of standing
up in a tower
with my whistle and red
trunks.
my binoculars
and keeping the beach goers
safe
from sharks and rip tides,
crab attacks on all those bare
toes, and what not.
so i go to the community
center
to get my certificate.
months go into months.
there is no improvement.
i'm fine underwater, but above
water it appears that i'm
not getting fit, but having one.
finally, out of pity, they say ok.
they tell me i can guard the pool
on the last day of the year
when they let the dogs swim.
small dogs only.
finally. i've made it.

No comments: