Thursday, September 24, 2020

get the hell off my lawn

you know you're getting
old when
you take a jog
through the cemetery
and two guys
start chasing you with
shovels.

old joke, but
a good one.
i can handle the blurred
vision,
the inability to hear,
the aches and pains
in the joints,
heart burn, and having to
pee every thirty five
minutes to squeeze out
a few drops, but
i can't get used to some young
punks calling me
sir. or Mr.

get off my lawn, i yell out
from my rocking chair.
throwing an ice cube from
my gin and tonic
in their direction.

that just galls me.

be right back, got to go again.

where was i?
oh right. old age.

the sex drive doesn't seem
to die down,
which is a curse and a blessing
as you peruse
your dwindling speed dial.

death and senility takes its toll.

but now you feel like a kid
standing outside
the glass window of the bakery,
looking at all that pastry
and hot muffins,
and all you got is a plug nickel
in your pocket.

No comments: