Thursday, August 13, 2020

the best of both worlds

i ring the bell
but no one comes. i yell down
to  Charlotte,
but there's no answer.
it's hard to find
good help these days.
i put my robe on and go down
to see what the trouble is.
there's a note on the table
in the kitchen.
i quit. it says.
i have fallen in love with you
and can no longer
stand to be around you
if it's not mutual.
i cook, i clean, i make you
waffles
with bacon.
i squeeze fresh orange juice for you.
when you ring the bell
i come running in
my little french maid costume
that you bought for me
in six different colors.
do you know how hard it is
to vacuum the stairs
while wearing stiletto heels?
and yet.
never do you hold me,
or touch me, or look into
my eyes and tell me that you
adore me.
i need more.
i need you.

i shake my head and put the note
down, then look out the window.
i see charlotte on the front steps
crying.

i open the door. hey, hey. what's up?
i'm starving.
come on back in....i do love you.
really, i do.

she wipes her eyes, smiling, then
comes in to put her arms around me.
oh, i'm so happy. so happy.

okay, okay. i tell her.   would it be
okay if i have scrambled eggs
today....some cheese and peppers
mixed in?   maybe some sausage links?

i'm going back up, oh and the paper
is in the yard, could you be a dear
and bring it up too?  oh, and coffee,
don't forget the coffee.  French Roast.

No comments: