Saturday, August 29, 2020

what are you doing in there?

sometimes you wake up,
look in the mirror
and say, what hell.

where did you go?
and so quickly.

i rub the top of my head
it's smooth and bristly 
at the same time.

when i had hair
it was thick and wild.
i'd shampoo and blow
dry it for about an hour
trying 
to achieve that bobby sherman
look.

don't ask who he is, please.

i went to hair stylists.
i did the punk thing, ala billy idol
the long haired
thing, not unlike james
taylor.

the buzz cut.  clint eastwood.

i've had all three hair styles
of the three stooges
at one point or another.

not to mention theodore cleaver.

as a kid i never left the house
without a little black
comb.

my hair was held together
with brylcreme and other
long ago products.

gluing down the cowlick.

a nice part on
the side.  a little slap of
my father's old spice
on the peach fuzz cheeks.

i did the elvis style for a while.
pulling a little strand down in
the center wave.

I put my collar up and would sing
viva las vegas in the mirror
unitl my mother banged on the door.

saying hey, are you almost done
in there?  what are you doing.

there's a line out the door here.

1 comment:

Di said...

I know this is more light-hearted --sort of. There is a hint of something more here, too. I think it works. Ditch the last line though.