Sunday, August 30, 2020

insuring the red sauce

my mother was losing it at the end.
she'd repeat the same
questions over and over again.
it was strange and annoying at
first, but then the light went on,
and it was like, oh, oh my. okay.
i get it now. so i let her ask again
how's work, how's the son,
how's someone from twenty 
years ago that i hoped to never
see again.  when the power went
out and her container of red sauce
melted in the ice box, she tried
to have home insurance cover it.
which was interesting.  she was
very disappointed when they said.
no.  before long it was sundown 
all day long. she was slipping further
and further away. and she knew
it.  she said, please whatever you
do, don't put me in a home
if i lose my mind completely.
promise me that. to which we
all did. and was where she died
five years later.

No comments: