Friday, May 8, 2020

the voice mail message

betty calls me at six a.m.
and leaves a message on my
voice mail.
she's been drinking.

i hear the ice cubes clink
around in her ancient
beach mug.

i hate this, she says. i'm
bored.
i'm tired of being stuck

in the house. my cats are
looking at me
wondering when i'm going
to finally get
out of the house

and leave them alone.
I've got five inches of grey
hair
weeding into my scalp.

i haven't had a botox shot
in months.
i look like my mother now.
my brow is all furrowed.

is furrowed the right word?

i look like i'm three months
preggo with all
the cookies I've been eating
and ice cream.

i think my pizza delivery guy
is in love with me.
i see him twice a week.

he's cute, i think, but it's
hard to tell with that mask on.

anyway. just thought i'd call
and say hi. call me, have to
go now.
need a refill.

No comments: