Tuesday, May 19, 2020

jobless

I think I was nineteen
the first
time I stood in line at
the unemployment office.
laid off from some lame
job
doing construction.
my friend john and I
would go together.
stand in the cold wind
in Bladensburg
waiting to get into the low
red bricked building.
we looked at it as free
money, until the next job
came along.
we didn't have families,
or bills to pay.
children to feed.
unlike most of those in
line in front and behind
us. these people were
truly going through
hard times.
it was the 70's.
we felt no shame though.
we wanted to work, we just
couldn't find the work.
we had health, brains,
and the willingness.
time was on our side, but
in those moments it looked
like nothing would ever
change. we'd always be
standing out in the cold,
aimless,
in a long line, trying
to survive.

No comments: