Friday, May 29, 2020

let's go for a ride cowboy

we should go horseback riding one
day she says to me as

we watch a cowboy movie on tv
eating popcorn
from the big green bowl.

I look at her, and say no.

but why, why not? horses are fun.
look at them.
look how fast and strong they are.

I look at the tv as a hundred
horses stampede across
the screen

carrying cowboys shooting rifles
at Indians. dust is flying in the air

and there's a lot of screaming
going on.

oh come on, she says. let's call
around and see who has
some horses.

we have carrots and sugar cubes
in the kitchen. let's go,

giddy up cowboy.
I let out a sigh and say okay,
maybe. but first let's watch

the movie. great, she says, jumping
up from the couch.

i'm going up to change and put
on some boots and that
denim dress with the roses
embroidered in it
that my aunt milly gave me
before she died.

okay, I tell her. okay.
take your time.

No comments: