Sunday, April 5, 2020

going back to sleep

I wake up
from

being frozen in an ice berg
for a few years

and yawn, stretch,
get out of my wet clothes

and head to Starbucks,
but it's closed.

what the hell.
everyone is wearing masks.

no one is going to work.

the shelves at the grocery
store are thin.

no toilet paper anywhere.
I call up

my friend betty to see if
she wants to go

have a martini or two at
Mike's. pete the bartender
will figure this
out.

she tells me it's closed. I ask
her if I can come
over.

i'm starving, hungry
as a bear after being asleep
for so long.

no, she says. social distancing.

what the hell is going on?
I yell out
walking down the middle of
the street.

newspapers are blowing by
like tumble weeds as my

voice echoes down the canyon
of empty buildings.

this is crazy, I say to myself
and head back to the ice berg.

I crawl back in and wait it out.

No comments: