Tuesday, April 21, 2020

the gold fish

the fish,

the size of a thumb,
more orange

than the name might give
notice to,

swims in a circle all day,

all night, I presume.
I've made her

as comfortable as possible,
what with

white sand and strands of greenery,
a small castle

with which to swim through
to add excitement to

it's long day.
I sprinkle a dusting of
food

as needed,
but I can't say that I enjoy

this fish much.
there is no true conversation

or love, between us,

not unlike the last person
who swam into my life.

I have no feelings for it one
way or the other.

I've given it no name, why
bother, I think.

and if I get attached to it,
what then in a week or two when

I find her floating gently
on top of the still water,

enough with this falling in love
thing. I shall just bid
adieu.


No comments: