Saturday, December 21, 2019

the asylum

I make a trip to the insane
asylum
to visit a few ex-wives.
they're accepting
visitors this time
of the year.
I bring flowers and a
fruit cake for each.
seems appropriate.
they don't seem too
pleased to see me. oh,
so now you visit, flowers
too? you must have done
something wrong again,
right? slip the fruit
cake through the slot
in the metal door.
there'd better be a hacksaw
in it. they all seem
to say the exact same
things, wriggling around
in their
straight jackets.
bone thin and hair
frayed and gone white.
you never loved me, they
all say, you never accepted
me for who I really am,
that's why I lied
and cheated and deceived
you. I nod and smile,
keeping my cool. well,
just wanted to stop on
by and wish you a merry
Christmas. have a nice
holiday. Guard!
i'm ready.

No comments: