Tuesday, April 23, 2019

hi, i'm stan

the waiter,
who looks about twelve,
is carrying two giant
menus and a wine
list under his arm,
in the other hand he's
carrying two
sparkling waters,
and a basket of bread,
his
name
is stan.
he points at his tag,
he wants to be
your new best friend,
i'll be serving you
tonight, he says
with a grin.
six pens are clipped to his
pocket.
good, you say, because
I have no idea
where the kitchen is.
my favorite is the crab
dip,
can I start you off with
that and a drink.
no.
just a drink, I tell
him.
an ice cold Tanqueray
and tonic
with a slice lime.
tangerine and tonic,
he says and writes that down.
no, Tanqueray.
it comes in a green bottle
about so high.
hmmm. he says. okay.
and for you mamm?
chardonnay?
scotch on the rocks, she
says.
i'm driving.
okay. he says, smiling.
can I tell you about our specials.
my favorite is the swordfish,
just caught
yesterday.
no, I say. stop right there,
bring me a steak.
mashed potatoes,
green beans
she'll have the same.
both medium rare. and for
dessert we'll both have
the flourless chocolate
waffle cake.
and after the food comes,
don't come to our
table anymore, okay?
when we stop eating and
drinking, then you'll know
to bring the check.
got it?
okay, he says. okay.

No comments: