Tuesday, April 2, 2019

a friend for lunch

i meet a friend for
lunch and try to tell her
about my
big life changing events
over the past year.
the pain and agony
of it all, but
she stops me in mid sentence,
putting her hand up,
as i'm about to get to the really
good parts and says,
with dismay on her face,
you won't believe this,
but i have a wheat
allergy.
i can't eat gluten anymore.
can you believe it? me?
she finishes chewing
a leaf of romaine lettuce
that's been in her mouth
for five minutes, then
puts her hands over her face
and begins to sob.
can you believe it? she says again.
no more gluten for me.
but, i say, but....
oh well, i tell her,
giving up on my story,
that's a shame.
while she collects herself,
i take a slice of freshly
baked bread, still warm,
in the basket and lather
it with honey butter,
smoothing it all the way
around to the crust.
i take a bite. it's really
really good.

No comments: