Friday, September 13, 2024

Levofloxacin

i peek inside
my doctor's office as he
spins
the drug
wheel nailed to the wall.
he gives it
a hard spin,
as the nurse stands there
with a chart
ready to write down
what drug the wheel lands
on this time.
finally it stops on Levofloxacin,
a drug often
used to treat the bubonic
plague
and other dreadful
illnesses, or to help
recover
from the inhalation of anthrax.
but i have none of that,
regardless,
he prescribes me 21 pills,
for three weeks
straight.
after taking three,
one each day,
i wake up one morning
and i can't walk.
fifty years of playing every sport
and never
getting injured
seriously, and now with a few
swallowed pills,  i can't walk.
my legs are swollen
and it feels like my tendons
are about to rupture.
i crawl to the bathroom
to vomit
in the toilet.
i'm dazed and confused, more
so than i ever
was in the 1970's.
if i make one wrong move
i may fall and crack
my head open
on the cold tile floor.
i call him up, and mumble,
yo, dude?
he says oops, my bad, let's
try something else.
i hear the wheel
spin, and the nurse say,
can i spin it one time too?

No comments: