Wednesday, April 3, 2024

helping out the sketch artist after being robbed

the police
ask me in to try and identify
the thief
who stole my watch, my
phone, and
my wedding ring.
snatched it right off my hand.
to which i replied
to the thief,
you're doing me a favor, my friend.
this made him smile before letting out
a hearty laugh as he ran off.
but the police sit me down
and ask me
to describe the man 
while the sketch artist tries
to convey on paper the image
i remember.
he had blue eyes. i start off.
blue, not like the ocean
or a robin's egg.
but more azure,
deep and mysterious, like
maybe how
the lake looks before
a storm. a summer squall.
the artist shakes her head
and says, okay, go on.
they were kind eyes, i tell her.
and when he smiled
and laughed, they lit up.
full of mischief, i might add.
his face was long, perhaps a
Norwegian bone structure,
with a high forehead, giving
me a sense of intelligence.
and his chin had a dimple,
not too deep, but just a soft poke
by God's finger.
if he hadn't taken up a life of crime,
i think he could
have modeled for Calvin Klein
undergarments in Vogue.
go on, go on. jeez.
was he black man, a white man?
no, no, his ethnicity was beyond
my comprehension. he was everyman
in my minds eye.
however,  i'd say he was well tanned,
perhaps a little burned
on his nose where he should have
applied a better zinc cream,
but sadly he smelled
much like a cheap brand of coconut oil
that i've come across
while slumming at beaches
on the eastern shore.
Ocean City, for example.
oh my God, the sketch artist says.
was he
tall, short, fat, skinny?
what color was his hair?
come on, give me something.
i don't know about the hair, he was
wearing a nice
dark cotton hoodie, with the strings
tied in a bow under his chin.
but i'd say he was medium in stature,
and i could tell he was fit by the way
he ran off in a very nice sprint.
his gait was very athletic. his arms
swung effortlessly from side to side
as he disappeared into the night.
he had a certain, how shall i say,
a je ne sais quois
about him,
stylish without trying,
and when he looked back, and gave
me that smile again,
i noticed how white and healthy
his teeth were. almost blinding
in the dim glow of street lamps
that lined the boulevard.
i don't believe he ever had a cavity
in his life.
okay, we're done here.
you can leave.
and by the way, you're never
getting your stuff back.

No comments: