Saturday, April 27, 2024

social warriors

my son calls
me from the police station.
hey dad,
he says, can you bail me out again.
i glued myself
to the road
and got arrested.
we're protesting the war,
he says.
which one? i ask.
i guess all of them.
he sends me a picture of himself,
his head wrapped in
a checkboard kerchief
that he stole from a table at Fridays.
what about classes, are you
still going
to school. working, maybe?
oh no, i don't go to school
here, i graduated fifteen years ago,
remember?
he skips the work part of the question.
yes, i do remember that hundred
thousand dollars
i spent on your tuition.
why are you there?
it seemed like fun to
come down
here and be on tv, harass
the cops,
and scream chants about things
i have no clue about.
something about Israel,
wherever that is, but
i'm making a lot of new friends.
and by the way,
we need some new rhyming
slogans, so if you can think of
any that rhyme
with river and sea, and free,
it would be helpful.
plus, could you order me a
megaphone on amazon and have
it shipped
to a tent here on the campus of
Harvard University?

No comments: