Sunday, December 31, 2023

the end of year evaluation

i call my
therapist up for an end
of year
evaluation
and tune up, not unlike
when
i take my
car in to the shop.
i tell her i'm having
a mid
life crisis.
which makes her laugh.
that would make
you a hundred
and forty
then, when you die, she says.
give or take,
i tell her.
i just need to vent a little.
talk about
my mother again.
i'm not sure if she even loved
me.
sometimes she'd forget
my birthday.
stop, she says, save it.
i'm in the middle
of stuffing olives
with cream cheese and
making punch.
okay, okay.
so when?
i have an hour open
on New Years Eve.
but bring a bottle
of champagne
and a party hat, okay?
the Dick Clark Times Square
show starts
at 7.
and if you could be a prince
and pick up
some onion dip on your way
over.
that would be nice.

No comments: