Monday, December 18, 2023

can i get an amen brother and sisters

i sent some money
to the prosperity church,
to the smiley guy
with the slicked back hair
and enormous
white teeth,
because they said
that a significant donation
would
be a blessing and that
God will heal me of my
chronic sinus issues.
it's been a week
and i'm going through
kleenex, well, like kleenex.
i called them
and they said to come on
down, my problem might
need some hands on
hallelujah healing,
plus another check of an
equal amount.
so i go down.
they put me in the front
row, despite my sneezing
and blowing of my
nose, i'm full of Flonase
and prednisone,
and feeling woozy from
shooting tree oil
and saline solutions
into my nostrils.
finally, after three hours
of singing and preaching,
they call me up
for the healing portion
of the program,
and the minister dressed in
a silver roy rogers
costume slaps me on my
forehead, which makes
me fall back into the arms
of several large men
of a suspicious nature,
smelling like garlic and onions,
who suddenly are going
through my pockets
and holding my wallet
and watch.
they drag me off backstage.
one guy,
who reminds me of
Joe Pesci,
throws my wallet back into
my face
after emptying it, the other guy
is wearing my watch.
you keep your mouth shut,
you hear, the little guy
says, slapping
a baton in his meaty hand,
or you're going to be pushing
up daisies
in the jersey river.
now get out of here.

No comments: