Sunday, June 13, 2021

party girl

do you party, she asks me.
sure.
i love a good birthday party,
or halloween
or new years.
no, she says. parteeeeh
you know.
get high.
smoke?
what are you talking about?
cigarettes cause
cancer.
no no not cigarettes,
weed.
mary jane.
ganja. 
she pulls out a bag of green
finely chopped dope
from her big purse,
pushing aside a ball of yarn
and knitting needles.
i see a pair of pink booties
she's working on for one of her
grandkids.
she shakes the weed in front of my face.
smoke a joint?
do a doobie?
oh my, i tell her.
i haven't touched that since
1972 at the grand funk railroad
concert in dc stadium.
we rushed the stage
during the last encore song.
i'm getting closer to my home.
come on,
she says.
this is good stuff, i got it at
the pharmacy
for my arthritis,
and kidney stones.
ummm. no thanks. but you go
ahead.
i can be tired, hungry, and paranoid
on my own these days.

No comments: