Thursday, May 30, 2024

you're not gonna hurt her, are you?

her mother
made
me sit down with her father,
Angelo
from the old country,
and ask
for his permission to marry
his youngest
daughter. Delores.
i gulped and sat down
in the dark
corner of his little
man cave.
he put down his girly
magazine,
and his
Ballantine beer can,
and stroked his mustache.
he lit a cigar
and offered me one.
i said, no,
but he insisted.
i choked on the stale air,
my eyes watered
and my throat felt like it
was bleeding.
so tell me, boy, he said.
what do you want to ask me?
oh, nothing,
really.
i was just thinking that maybe
Linda and i could
get married
in the spring.
he sat up from his chair
and put his hand
on my knee.
you're not gonna hurt my
little girl are you?
because if you are i have
friends that will want to talk
to you.
capiche?
we stood up and he shook
my hand. don't worry son,
he said.
we'll get you a job down
at the docks
before the wedding.
then her mother called us in
for a plate of gnocchi and sausages.

No comments: