Thursday, February 29, 2024

where are you people from?

our waiter
is tired,
dark circles are under his eyes.
his shirt is wrinkled
and stained.
he forgets who gets the fish,
who gets
the steak,
he comes back a third
time with 
the pepper mill,
then tells us his name,
and where he's from.
Minnesota, he says.
but it's obvious
there is more he wants
to tell us.
he goes away
for awhile then returns
to pour more water.
finally he asks
me to slide
over so that he can
take a seat.
i'm tired, he says, really tired.
i have a wife, he says.
two kids.
my mother in law wants to
move in with us.
he sips on my drink,
and slices
the meat on my plate,
before having
a piece.
do you mind?  he says,
i'm starving.
he takes his shoes off
under the table,
and loosens his bowtie.
so tell me, where are you
people from?

No comments: