Tuesday, September 26, 2023

you know nothing

my boss
in my brief office days was
a tiny man
from Viet Nam.
Su Bao
was his name.
he had war wounds
all over him, scars
all over his
body.
one arm was nearly
useless.
his hand folded together
like a vise.
he used to yell at me
if i made a mistake,
which was quite often,
he'd yell loudly
so that the whole office
could hear him.
you know nothing,
you're stupid.
you know nothing.
he'd repeat this over and over.
screaming
at the top of his cigarette
filled lungs,
and stamp his
brown shoes with his clip
on tie
flopping around.
part of me wanted to smack
him across the head
with a keyboard,
and the other half
of me wanted to hug
him. and talk softly
to him, to have him tell
me all about it.
i can't imagine what he
went through,
but he was right.
i knew
absolutely nothing.

No comments: