Wednesday, September 27, 2023

Sears and Roebucks

he's smoking
a cigarette and coughing
as he sits
on his front porch.
i miss Sears and Roebucks,
he says
out of nowhere.
i used to buy everything.
there.
from tires to dungarees.
my mother's house
was ordered
from their catalogue.
we used to get clothes
there,
do all our school shopping
for the kids,
and at Christmas
they sold trees.
Santa Claus would sit
next to the escalator
and our
kids would hop up on
his knee.
my fridge and my washer
and dryer are all Kenmore.
my vacuum cleaner too.
they don't make
em like that anymore.
and if they broke down,
Sears would send a man out
to fix them.
he crushes his cigarette
under his shoe,
then lights another one
as a big blue truck pulls up
on the street.
Amazon.
my wife, he says. we get
a package nearly everyday.
she don't feel the same as
i do about
old Sears.


No comments: