Saturday, August 19, 2023

a destroyer of worlds

i am responsible for many
deaths it seems,
and yet i sleep well at night.
do i regret
the coffee that i sip
on the back deck.
a bug of some unknown
origin
afloat in the warm rough
of cream and sugar,
caffeine?
what else have i killed?
what insects have met
their demise splattered
against my windshield?
what possum or squirrel
survived the roll of my tires
on the darkened road?
what have i stepped on
without noticing, the cry
of pain. deaf to my far away
ears. caterpillars,
moths and flies, i kill
them all without an ounce
of remorse.
no shame.
the mosquito's life is squashed
beneath
the slap of a hand
against my thigh.
my black boot brushes
against the ant hill,
causing chaos.
even the snake i beaned
with a rock, before
he bit me, is beyond my
empathy.
i kill everything.
i am Oppenheimer
to insects,
and other things,
i am a destroyer of worlds.

No comments: