Monday, January 30, 2023

what the universe says

Jimmy calls me,
he's thinking about retiring
finally
from his job down at the Ford
motor plant
where he attaches
fenders with a riveting gun.
i've got enough saved up,
he says,
the divorce didn't hurt
me too bad,
and the kids are gone.
other than my mortgage,
food, clothing, drink
and electricity, i'm good.
oh and the vet bills for the cat.
so do it, i tell him.
retire and take it easy.
but then what, he says.
how do i fill the day without
work?
i see these guys walking around
the mall in their sweat pants,
or down at the lake
feeding bread to the ducks
and i want to shoot myself in the head.
i'm not the kind of guy
who buys a Winnebago
and goes to the grand canyon.
i just feel like it's over
if i quit my job.
i hate fishing, i don't play golf,
and most of my life long
friends, except you, are dead.
any suggestions?
yeah, keep working.
the universe will tell you when
to quit.


No comments: