Monday, October 19, 2020

the new health insurance plan

i set aside four hours
of phone
time to talk with my health insurance
agent.
leaving twenty minutes
for the period
of being on hold and listening
to muzak.
she's a fast talker.
reminds me
of my first ex wife.
slick and sharp.
the knife is in before you know it.
i sign up after asking
what are my choices.
she rattles off
war and peace, then whittles
it down to cost.
no premium, a reasonable
premium and 
then the high ball premium
where 
you get a new heart
and brain at a discount.
first in line.
she asks me about my kidneys.
i look down
and lift up my shirt and tell
her so far so good.
but the night is young.
we make a deal.
she cracks another joke.
she's rodney dangerfield
with the jokes.
then she reads off a twenty digit
confirmation
number. i say i do.
several times, two words i made
a vow to never say
again.
and we're done.

No comments: