Sunday, May 3, 2020

the sunday picnic

I met her at I hop,

her name tag said jess, but her
real

name was natalie.
as she topped off my coffee

and sprayed more whipped cream
onto my pancakes
and bacon,

I asked her, what's a smart
girl like
you doing working in a joint

like this,

to which she said, I like pancakes.
we get to eat as many
as we want

once the restaurant closes down.
plus, I just do this part

time, for the pancakes, like
I said

but i'm a lawyer the rest
of the time.

more butter, syrup?
sure I said as she pulled
pads

of butter out of the pockets
of her pink apron.

I get off at six on sundays,
she told me,

winking. maybe we can go on a
picnic or something.

take walk and get to know one
another. I can bring bacon,
if you'd like.

it's a date, I told her.
see you sunday.

No comments: