Monday, January 20, 2020

Ditto

what are you looking for
a complete stranger writes
to me
on the dating site.
becky from Toledo, ohio.
she has one picture of her in
a blue and white checkered dress.
she's fifty seven
but has pigtails and is
holding a small dog in
her lap.
I think of Dorothy in
the wizard of oz.
I see that her profile
states that she loves to bake
and that christmas is her
favorite time of year.

i'm looking for a soul mate,
she writes before
I can answer.
i'm looking for the love
of my life. someone I can
grow old with.
someone smart and has a good
job
who will love and adore me.
someone I can do things with.
someone who loves to laugh,
loves to travel and eat out.
someone who is adventurous
and loyal. who likes to kayak
and hike.
not too much baggage.

are you still there? she writes.
I look at what she's written.
my fingers on the keyboard
but not moving.
I want to ask her if she's
on any medication, or is delusional,
but I don't.
I write.
same, same as you. ditto.

No comments: