Thursday, October 31, 2019

this is fine for now

I remember a night,
my friends and I after carousing the bars
of Georgetown,
drinking,
dancing, chasing the young
girls
from Marymount,
how we found a diner
on the side of the road.
it was snowing,
we were tired, but thirsty still,
hungry,
defeating the wind,
the cold
in our winter clothes,
Christmas scarves around
our necks.
we found a booth and ordered
eggs and toast,
bacon. juice and coffee,
a thin steak, waffles.
we were lucky.
young still in our twenties.
just out of the gate.
I remember looking
out the window
at the snow, how it gathered
so pristine and white
upon the road.
my friends full of laughter,
the wonder of it all.
I could stay here forever,
I thought,
right here.
who needs what's next.
this is good. this is fine
for now.

No comments: