Tuesday, April 20, 2021

how the system works

what did you get in the  divorce
i ask my friend mary jane
when she comes over for tea
one morning
at my trailer
on the edge of town.
i made out like a bandit, she
says. look out the window.
there's a black shiny 911 porsche
parked  behind my twelve year old
rusting truck.
sweet, i tell her.
and the house?
yup, got the house too.
cha ching.
kept the maid and the butler
not to mention
alimony, child support, and half
of every penny he ever saved
or made.
cheat on me, will he. ha.
i love spyware.
but weren't you cheating on him
too. yeah, but he never caught me.
dang. alimony?
your kids are all grown up.
how did you get child support?
yeah, she says.  but the dog
is only a year old. he's still in
school and needs grooming
every other week.
dang you did pretty good.
i sold the diamond he gave me
too. i'll be taking a world cruise
at the end of summer.
maybe you can come with me.
no. i wish i could, but i have three
jobs now paying off my ex.
what's that noise, she says, 
putting her hands over her ears.
oh, that's the freight trains
going by. i'm very close to the tracks.

No comments: