Monday, March 21, 2011

cigarettes and kissing

i like to smoke
occasionally,
she says, does
that bother you? i
mean is it a deal
breaker if we start
dating? depends,
i tell her, if
kissing is involved,
i think that it
might be a problem,
having never liked
the taste of nicotine
and ashes in
my own mouth let
alone coming from
someone else's, or
the smell of tar
on my clothes, or
hands, or in your hair.
but i can stop any
time i want to, she
says, coughing and
clearing her throat,
while she fidgets with
her pink bic lighter.
she wants to spit,
but doesn't and swallows
politely. it just helps
me to relax when i get
nervous. in fact, i
only smoke after eating,
or if i'm jittery about
something, or someone,
or if i have a cup of
coffee in the morning,
or a drink when i'm out
and about with my friends.
she removes a tiny strand
of tobacco from the
tip of her tongue and
flicks it away,
oh, and sometimes
when i walk the dog,
or if i'm on the
phone, i'll light one
up, or two. the only
other times i smoke
is after cuddling with
my significant other
and walking on the beach,
and driving. i love
to smoke when i drive,
with the radio on,
i hang it out the window
though because i don't
want the inside of my
car to stink or get
ashes on the seats,
or that yellowish
cigarette goo on
the windshield. but
it's hard to text,
smoke and drive
all at the same time
and hold the wheel
between my knees. so,
i could see giving
it up at some point,
it would be easy
though for me, because
i hardly smoke at all.
like i said. i'm just
barely a smoker. i'm
a social smoker, very
casual about it. i could
quit in a heartbeat.
so, what do you think?
me and you. are we good
for friday night?

No comments: