Saturday, December 26, 2020

getting a physical

i stick the thermometer
into my
mouth
and wait.

it's under just a bit.
i do feel a bit chilly inside.

not quite ninety-eight point
six.

but close enough.
i run up the stairs to see if

i can breathe.
pretty good.

heart is thumping like
a bunny rabbit

not a single cough
or wheeze.

i touch my toes,
the tip of my nose with my
eyes closed.

 bingo.  i open my mouth
and say ahhh
in the mirror.

nothing there.

i swing my eyes from side to side
looks good too.

i do a quick scan with my hands
to locate any new
body lumps that may have
risen overnight. 

nope. clear.  i prick my finger
with a needle.
yup,
blood is still red.

i try to remember a few
birthdays

of significant others
i used to know to see if
my memory

is still intact.
oh well.

i couldn't remember 
dates
when i was with them
anyway,

but i do find my
keys
and wallet

in the fridge.

for the most part i think
i'll live
another day.

No comments: