Friday, January 18, 2019

i see an island

the gypsy
smiles when she sees me coming
through the door.
she wraps a new red scarf
around her head
and pulls out the old
crystal ball.
she lets out an ugh
as she hauls it to the
round table, blows
the dust off of it.
sit, sit, she says. tea?
sure, I tell her.
earl grey with a splash of
cream.
two sweet and lows, she says,
right?
yes. I tell her and take off
my coat.
she looks at my palms first
and sighs.
oh my she says. oh my.
some year, eh?
brutal, I tell her.
well, that's all behind you
now.
not to worry. I see an
island resort in your future.
white sands.
blue skies and palm trees.
I see a tall drink in your
hand
and someone rubbing
lotion onto your back.
how's that sound, she says.
pouring me some tea.
great, I tell her.
go on.
cash or credit today? she
asks.
I pull out a roll of bills,
keep going, I tell her.
keep going.
some cookies with that tea?
sure.

No comments: