Saturday, May 1, 2010

smart guy

i try to act
smarter when i'm
around really smart
people, like my
friend fran, she's
a medical research wiz
of some sort. a germ
chaser, and often
has to explain to me
what she does for a
living, about five
minutes into the
explanation i begin
to scratch some part
of my body and stare
off into the distance
at a plane going by
or a squirrel jumping
from tree to tree.
she rolls her eyes
and stops, pours me
another glass of wine
and then i think about
how nice it would be
to kiss her, although
we aren't in that kind
of a relationship,
at least not yet, but
the thought crosses my
mind. the thing
about her being so much
smarter than me, book
smart, just making
that part clear, makes
me cautious with her.
being prone to often
saying and doing dumb
things on a daily basis
has me on my toes
with her. i'm going
to the library right
now to pick up a book
to help me get smarter.
they still have libraries
don't they? fran would know.

1 comment:

Sara Leigh said...

Steve, you know you have other talents. I know, it's not always autobiographical. I just like to interpret your poetry that way. Hahahahaha.