Friday, August 18, 2017

the book club

i meet with the book club
to discuss
the latest offering.
run rabbit run by updike.
it's been two weeks since
the last meeting.
vacations have delayed
the date.
there's cake and coffee
on the table,
before the wine is poured.
we sit in a circle,
holding our books in our laps.
some never opened, some
wet and crinkled,
some the wrong book.
one person says, i'm sorry,
I just love joe updike, but
I didn't have time,
but I did see the movie..
I rented it on Netflix,
but the doorbell rang
so I missed the whole ending.
another says that her
son had whooping cough,
which makes another suggest
lemon water for the kid
to gargle with.
what about this eclipse
on Monday, someone says.
I want to look but I don't
want to go blind. three people
say out loud,
you have to get the glasses.
who made this cheesecake?
it's delightful.
another bottle of wine
gets opened.
the books go under the
chair. two women begin
knitting. a man takes out
his phone and shows us
a picture of his grandkid
in a tub with bubbles
all around him. next week.
war and peace.

1 comment:

Dianne C. said...

OMG sitting in an airport laughing out loud picturing you there watching this unfold.