Sunday, August 8, 2021

the close call

it was years ago,
decades?
hard to believe, but true.
when she said,
after the writing class
had ended. let's have a drink.
let's celebrate
your publication.
but i'm married i told her.
i have a son now.
i pointed at the car seat
in back of the car.
just one drink,
she said. on me.
come on.
live a little. so off we went
to some secluded dive bar.
her in her tight short
dress,
her low cut blouse.
her perfume and freshly
done hair.
was she wearing heels?
i think so.
she was newly slender,
having starved herself
on the latest diet.
we drank,
she bumped her knee against
mine. she crossed
her legs, she purred.
she touched my thigh.
she praised my writing.
the color of my eyes.
but i said no. i'm sorry,
but i can't. there's a part
of me that says yes.
but the rest says no.
so we parted ways.
the next time i saw her 
she was in the school cafeteria,
hunched over a book.
she was eating a double
cheeseburger with fries
and a washing it down with
a chocolate shake.

1 comment:

Di said...

OMG --see I am psychic. But you back away from the emotion of this one at the end. There is a story here somewhere. Sometimes I think you are just too afraid of yourself. And so you throw it away with the joke. We are too much alike, I fear.