Thursday, May 13, 2021

golf nut

he tells me he plays
golf
three times a week, which
explains why
he's so angry
all the time and gaining weight.
it's my back swing
he says, i can't
push off on my left
foot like used to
since i dropped a can
of beer on it once.
i did fine on the front
nine, yesterday,
but then the wind picked
up and i was shanking
drives all over the place.
hit a duck on twelve
which actually was a good
thing, because it kept
my ball on the fairway.
quietly i close my eyes
and fall into a deep sleep
until he nudges me with
his putter that he carries
with him everywhere.

1 comment:

Cynthiakf said...

I can empathize.
The golf channel is what I put on my TV, when I can not sleep.
Works better than any sleep aid.
The peanut butter, throws a mix into this otherwise very relatable poem.
That’s clever, and intriguing.