Thursday, December 20, 2018

rosebud

what do you want
for Christmas santa asks me
as I sit on his lap
with my finger on my chin.
I don't know,
I tell him. I have so much.
a house, a car,
a good job,
my health is fine,
my son is somewhat happy
and living in
the sunshine of southern
California.
well, well, santa asks,
looking at the long line
of children
getting fidgety behind
the velvet rope.
i'm just not sure, I tell
him.
of course I want peace
on a earth
and a new president,
and hunger
to be eradicated,
not to mention saving
the environment, but
those are all givens.
love and happiness, as
al green sings, would be
nice to.
just tell me santa says,
I don't have all day,
plus you're killing my leg.
how old are you anyway?
okay, okay, I tell him.
I got it.
I want a new sled, the old
fashion kind made of wood,
with iron runners
and rope. one like I used to have
when I was a kid.
that's it? that's what
you really want?
yup.
good lord!
okay. get out of here.
next!

No comments: